Membership Eligibility: Article II-Membership
Section 1 – The membership of the Tohono O’odham Nation Shall Consist of the Following:
- (a) All Indians whose names appears on the official census rolls of the Sells and Gila Bend Reservations as of January 1, 1937, and of the San Xavier Reservation as of January 1, 1940 provided that additions and changes may be made to said rolls by the Tohono O’odham Council, subject to the approval of the Secretary of the Interior.
- (b) All Children born to resident members.
Section 2 – The council shall have the power to adopt into membership anyone who is one-half, (1/2) degree or more of Papago-Tohono O’odham Indian blood.
Section 3 – Membership in the Tohono O’odham Nation and all rights deriving therefore shall be lost or relinquished if a person is or becomes enrolled as a member in another Indian Nation, Tribe, Community or Band, provided such person shall first be given an opportunity to relinquish membership in such other Nation, Tribe, Community or Band.
Applications are only available at the Enrollment Office. Applications can also be mailed out upon request.
When submitting an application the following copies of documents are required:
- State Certified Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Paternity Acknowledgment Affidavit (For Enrollment Purposes Only)-If father is not on Proof of Birth and IS an enrolled member of the Tohono O’odham Nation.
If application is incomplete or missing any documents the enrollment specialist will write a letter of request for more information. Your application will be pending until all documents are received or until the original application is completed.
If you should have any questions on application process, call the Enrollment Department (520)383-8700.
Change of Address Procedure
- Change of address forms are available at the Enrollment Office.
- On this site under Enrollment Program Forms you can print out a change of address form in English/Spanish, you may mail, fax, or bring in form to the Enrollment office.
- Mail/Fax in a letter of your change of address with your signature (all members 18 or over need to fill out their own change of address, unless they are appointed as a legal representative to handle their documents.)
Tribal Identification Card
- Your first ID is FREE
- No age requirement to receive tribal ID
- If you have a picture, signature and thumb print in the system already the ID will cost $10.00. (We ask that you call the enrollment office first to check and see if you already have an ID in our system), before going to the Treasurers department to pay.
- There will be NO charge if your ID is damaged, however you must bring the damaged card to the office for replacement.
- Name Changes to tribal ID’s will also be FREE. You will need to present social security card, birth certificate, and court order of name change. If it is a marriage you will need to provide marriage license along with social security card to change your name on a tribal ID. The process for a name change will take about 2 – 3 months.